Know Your Students (K.Y.S.) and Mentoring System
- Objective: –Y.S. provision helps the college to have a scientific analysis of the students taking admission in the college for higher learning and to understand various type of disabilities which make it difficult for them to cope with the curriculum. The mentoring system helps in the process by eliminating those disabilities and instilling confidence in them to acquire knowledge and to develop a multifaceted personality, which is an integral part of the stated objective of our vision.
- Need addressed and context:-On several occasions it has been seen, a student is categorised as a slow learner because of his inability to express himself due to inadequate knowledge of the language or due to certain mental block coupled with complex psychology. The K.Y.S. and mentoring system is designed to understand the real difficulties of the students and to evolve remedial measures to overcome those difficulties. The mentoring system keeps constant vigil on students to measure their behavior in the college. The college takes immediate measures if any kind of depression or aggression is found in the behavior of any student. A high degree of depression or aggression always leads to suicidal tendency among students. Removal of tension and building up of confidence within a student is the important aspect of the system.
- The Practice: –At the entry point, each student has to disclose to the college a rough bio-data of his educational, curricular and extracurricular activities in a prescribed format. It gives an opportunity to the student for self-introspections and to understand his strengths and weaknesses. The student also has to disclose his future aims and objectives through K.Y.S. The college conducts aptitude test for the students with the help of a professional agency to find out their real aptitude. The K.Y.S. forms are properly analyzed and the result of the aptitude test provides the basis for a scientific analysis. 30 to 40 students are placed within the control of each staff member and it is the responsibility of the staff member to eliminate any wrong assessment of the student about his own capability or any other disability that acts as a hindrance to his/her progress. The mentoring system provides students with adequate care to pursue their academics and develop confidence to meet the challenges of the time.
- Evidence of Success: –It has helped the students to improve upon their knowledge, interpersonal interaction, student – teacher relationship and the achievement of the vision, mission and objective of the college, which is evident from students’ progression.
- Resources: – Astable academic and cultural atmosphere is required, in which all students identify themselves with the system and consider themselves as an important and integral part of the system
Maintenance and Development of research culture among the students
- Objective of the Practice: –An Institute of higher learning should develop a research culture among the students, which would help them to cultivate a sense of teamwork and develop skills to carry out projects. This would also sensitize the students to the problems of the poor and marginalized section of society.
- Need addressed and context: –The College strongly believes that the theoretical knowledge of the students should be supplemented by practical field experience. It provides ample opportunity to the students to understand the ground reality of the non – performance of several ambitious policies, programmes and projects of the government. It helps them to develop necessary skills and contacts.
- The Practice:- For the purpose of evolution of research culture, various departments and Associations heads are entrusted with the responsibility to select the research problems and to encourage students to participate in it. Students are divided into small groups comprising of 10-15 students. The concerned teacher gives a proper guidance about the objective of the projects. Students are asked to predict the outcome of the project and few relevant predictions are accepted with consensus as the hypothesis of the project. Each group is advised to consult books and articles on the net relating to the concerned subject to acquire adequate information relating to the work done in the field and the necessary conclusion obtained therein. Then the students are allotted specific areas to conduct interviews either of all members of the locality (if sample size is small) or randomly as per the method decided by the group. After obtaining the data, students are asked to prepare raw tables for the analysis of data. The raw tables help them to analyse the data scientifically. The teacher concerned helps them to write the report in the format of a research project.
- Evidence of Success: – This project was started with a few students in the year 2012-2013. Now the response has considerably increased. Participation in the research round table of the college has also increased. This shows the increasing enthusiasm among the students for the participation in the project.
- Resource:– College has an adopted pada surrounded by a number of small padas which provide adequate opportunity for the college to conduct surveys among the people on different areas of academic interest. Apart from this, every year our students participate in Y.F.S.D. camps in remote parts of Maharashtra and as a matter of principle, we conduct a survey in those localities to create a better rapport with the local people and to obtain information about their social and cultural life. Even during elections, we undertake opinion polls to testify our research finding with the result of the election.